PDP also favours revocation AFSPA
New Delhi: Pressing for initiation of an unconditional dialogue to resolve Kashmir issue, state`s main opposition PDP on Wednesday demanded revocation of AFSPA, shifting armed forces from civilian areas and immediate release of political prisoners.
"Demands for some cosmetic action are now part of the same mindset that does not go beyond the immediate needs of political survival," PDP President Mehbooba Mufti said addressing an All Party Meeting on Kashmir, in an apparent attack on the ruling National Conference in Jammu and Kashmir.
She said her party strongly endorsed the need for revocation of AFSPA saying it has outlived its utility since 2007.
"We demand that the process of shifting armed forces from civilian areas be started now. All the innocent detunes be released and political prisoners be freed by revoking Public Safety Act against them," she said.
Appealing to the All Party Forum to make a stand on a road to resolution of Kashmir issue that grants people their genuine aspirations, Mehbooba said "the process will have to clear of conditionalities. It will have to accommodate those voices that do not accept status quo.
"It will have to steer clear of the past mistakes. It will have to come over suspicions and mistrust."
She told reporters after the meeting that neither the Centre nor the separatists should put any conditions for holding dialogue.
In her speech at the meeting, she said the process will have to face the additional burden of fixing responsibility for the death, injury and destruction caused by the governance deficit as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Sensex drops 224 points; Nifty dips below 8,600-mark
- Have every right to intervene if no Syrian Kurd withdrawal: Turkey
- Not given chance to explore my acting abilities: Shamita Shetty
- Sakshi Malik expresses desire to meet Virender Sehwag – Read Viru's HILARIOUS reply
- Airtel upgrades over 9,000 network sites under Open Network