PDP brought real democracy in J&K: Mehbooba
Jammu: People`s Democratic Party president Mehbooba Mufti on Saturday said her party had brought real democracy in Jammu and Kashmir by providing people a strong alternative to the National Conference.
Addressing a public meeting at Pouni in Reasi district, Mehbooba accused the ruling NC of encouraging nepotism and graft in the state.
Maladministration was the hallmark of NC`s rule in the state, she said adding "the PDP has brought real democracy in Jammu and Kashmir by challenging the hegemony of NC."
Her party had "scripted a new chapter of history" in the state by providing people a strong alternative to the National Conference, Mehbooba said.
The PDP head accused the NC-led government in the state of systemically destroying all democratic institutions which, she said, were strengthened during the PDP`s rule.
"All the good things like the State Accountability Commission popularly known as Lokpal were first brought in Jammu and Kashmir by the PDP-Congress coalition.
"RTI too was first brought in 2004 by the same dispensation," Mehbooba said.
"The only achievement that the present government has been boasting about is Panchayat elections and that too they have messed up by denying powers to these institutions," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter