PDP complains to EC about `misuse` of police by NC
Srinagar: Opposition PDP on Monday lodged a complaint with the Election Commission against the alleged misuse of official machinery and resources by the ruling National Conference for a recent party meeting here.
"A letter to that effect has been sent to the Election Commission," PDP Chief spokesperson Naeem Akhtar said.
Akhtar said the Election Commission was informed as to how police vehicles and personnel were used to ferry `Wazwan` (Kashmiri cuisine) for the participants of National Conference provincial meet at its headquarters on Saturday.
"The letter has also pointed out that apart from Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, most ministers, Members of Parliament and legislators had participated in the lunch served through police," he said.
The media had highlighted the alleged use of police vehicles for ferrying Wazwan for the National Conference leaders.
The local election officers took note of the reports and immediately sent a letter to the police department demanding explanation.
The police responded by saying that the food carried in police vehicles was meant for police personnel who were working as escorts and security officers for various protected persons who had attended the meeting, a senior official said.
Accusing the ruling party of insensitivity and callous display of attitude at a time when Kashmir was mourning the killing of a youth in Naidkahi village of Sumbal area by police, Akhtar said this is not the first time the government has displayed such a "shameless behaviour".
"Unfortunate part of the whole story is that even the Chief Minister didn`t express a customary regret over the police brutality. Not even a tweet from him," Akhtar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO