PDP complains to EC about `misuse` of police by NC
Srinagar: Opposition PDP on Monday lodged a complaint with the Election Commission against the alleged misuse of official machinery and resources by the ruling National Conference for a recent party meeting here.
"A letter to that effect has been sent to the Election Commission," PDP Chief spokesperson Naeem Akhtar said.
Akhtar said the Election Commission was informed as to how police vehicles and personnel were used to ferry `Wazwan` (Kashmiri cuisine) for the participants of National Conference provincial meet at its headquarters on Saturday.
"The letter has also pointed out that apart from Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, most ministers, Members of Parliament and legislators had participated in the lunch served through police," he said.
The media had highlighted the alleged use of police vehicles for ferrying Wazwan for the National Conference leaders.
The local election officers took note of the reports and immediately sent a letter to the police department demanding explanation.
The police responded by saying that the food carried in police vehicles was meant for police personnel who were working as escorts and security officers for various protected persons who had attended the meeting, a senior official said.
Accusing the ruling party of insensitivity and callous display of attitude at a time when Kashmir was mourning the killing of a youth in Naidkahi village of Sumbal area by police, Akhtar said this is not the first time the government has displayed such a "shameless behaviour".
"Unfortunate part of the whole story is that even the Chief Minister didn`t express a customary regret over the police brutality. Not even a tweet from him," Akhtar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi