PDP condemns death of youths in Bandipora
Srinagar: Opposition People`s Democratic Party (PDP) on Sunday condemned the killing of two youth in north Kashmir`s Bandipora district saying the incident has once again exposed the sorry state of affairs prevailing in Jammu and Kashmir.
"Army`s firing in the area was totally unwarranted and reflected how deeply the culture of impunity has become entrenched in the state," PDP patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed said while addressing a workers` convention in Kulgam district of south Kashmir.
Sayeed said it is a matter of regret that the present dispensation in the state is incapable of stopping such "barbaric incidents".
"It is now becoming increasingly clear that the state government has lost all control on the situation," he said.
The PDP patron said, on one hand people of the state were going out of their way to give democratic process a chance, but on the other hand more wounds were inflicted on them by state agencies.
The state is presenting a picture of lawlessness where everybody, whether an unknown gunman or security personnel entrusted with the duty of protecting lives, can get away with atrocities, he alleged.
Sayeed said the incident at Markundal has once again validated PDP`s view that the Army has to be relocated from civilian areas and there has to be gradual demilitarisation of civilian space.
Expressing solidarity with the bereaved families, Mufti said the tragedy has devastated two more families and no words can compensate their loss.
For many years PDP has been striving for revoking laws that provide immunity to personnel responsible for such avoidable violence, he said.
"We needed laws like AFSPA when the state was bristling with thousands of gun wielding youth but not any more when such laws are proving counterproductive," the former Chief Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers