PDP condemns killing of two cops by militants
Srinagar: Opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) president Mehbooba Mufti on Saturday condemned the killing of two policemen in the heart of Srinagar city, saying violence in any form will not solve problems.
"Violence in any form would not solve any problem. We are deeply shocked over the incident," Mehbooba told reporters here.
The PDP leader also expressed concern over the "sharp increase" in targeted attacks on police in the recent months.
"It is regrettable that the present dispensation has totally failed to protect the human lives," she said.
Mehbooba expressed her solidarity with the families of two slain cops Mohammad Maqbool and Nazir Ahmad.
Militants struck in the heart of the summer capital of the state, shooting two policemen dead from point blank range.
The ultras, using silencer-fitted pistols, carried out the attack at busy Hari Singh High Street near Jehangir Chowk here this afternoon, resulting in critical injuries to Head constable Maqbool and constable Ahmad.
A 16-year-old girl, identified as Ishrat of Ganderbal, was also injured in the attack as she was hit by a bullet in the arm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi