PDP condemns killing of two cops by militants
Srinagar: Opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) president Mehbooba Mufti on Saturday condemned the killing of two policemen in the heart of Srinagar city, saying violence in any form will not solve problems.
"Violence in any form would not solve any problem. We are deeply shocked over the incident," Mehbooba told reporters here.
The PDP leader also expressed concern over the "sharp increase" in targeted attacks on police in the recent months.
"It is regrettable that the present dispensation has totally failed to protect the human lives," she said.
Mehbooba expressed her solidarity with the families of two slain cops Mohammad Maqbool and Nazir Ahmad.
Militants struck in the heart of the summer capital of the state, shooting two policemen dead from point blank range.
The ultras, using silencer-fitted pistols, carried out the attack at busy Hari Singh High Street near Jehangir Chowk here this afternoon, resulting in critical injuries to Head constable Maqbool and constable Ahmad.
A 16-year-old girl, identified as Ishrat of Ganderbal, was also injured in the attack as she was hit by a bullet in the arm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron
- Britain probes whether some Sharia courts legitimise forced marriage, divorces unfair to women
- PM Modi to flag-off Mizoram’s first broad-gauge passenger train from Bairabi to Silchar today
- Bodos, ex-militants hail Modi govt for giving ST status to Bodo-Kacharis in Assam's hill districts