PDP demands concrete steps to solve Kashmir issue
New Delhi: Demanding concrete measures like
initiation of unconditional dialogue, revocation of AFSPA,
phased withdrawal of army from Kashmir Valley, PDP today said
there was a need to look at Kashmir from a "humanitarian
angle" and it should not be made a "prestige issue".
Emerging from the all-party meeting on Kashmir, PDP
President Mehbooba Mufti said all parties should rise above
their "political interests" and find a solution to the crisis.
"People are suffering and getting killed. Kashmir has
been converted into a jail. So all the political parties and
the leadership of the country should rise above their
political interests and come together.....Let us all join
hands and find a solution to the complex Kashmir problem," she
Mehbooba said PDP demanded that there should be an
unconditional dialogue from both Centre and the separatist
leaders as there should be some "real and concrete" measures
to solve the issue and not "cosmetic" ones.
"We asked the Prime Minister to go for an unconditional
dialogue because we did not put any condition and then move
forward. We also said that all the youth who have been
arrested under Public Safety Act should be released," the PDP
PDP also demanded lifting of "curfew....due to which the
Kashmiri people are suffering from dawn to dusk".
She said people should see more a "humane face of our
country. We live in a democracy. So, we need to sit together
with the separatists and other parties to find a solution to
the Kashmir problem.
Asked if Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah
should resign, Mehbooba said "I think this is something
between Congress and National Conference as they are alliance
partners. They will be in a better position to answer that
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday