PDP demands probe into Kashmiri student`s suicide in Hyderabad
Jammu: The Opposition PDP in Jammu and Kashmir on Monday demanded a probe into the suicide of a Kashmiri student in Hyderabad.
Raising the issue in the state Assembly, PDP member Khalil Bandh said, "His (Kamran Mudasir) death has resulted in disturbances in South Kashmir and the government must ensure measures in this regard...A thorough probe should be conducted."
He also accused the state government of ignoring the issue.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah informed the House that the details of investigation conducted by the police in the case have been shared with the family of the deceased.
Intervening on a point raised by some legislators regarding the death, he said there are some elements in the report, which cannot be made public unless the family gives consent in this regard.
"So, the government is not in a position to reveal the report in the House...If the family wants more probe or wants to reveal the details, I have no objections," Omar said.
29-year-old Mudasir, a PhD student of English and Foreign Languages University, had committed suicide by hanging himself in his hostel room in the campus of Hyderabad-based Osmania University, which is housing EFLU, on March 2.
The proctor of EFLU, professor HK Vizra, was booked today for allegedly abetting the suicide of the student, said inspector P Ashok attached to Osmania University police station in Hyderabad.
Police said Mudasir was issued a memo by Vizra on January 29 to explain his "misbehaviour" with a roommate and another PhD student Vasim Salim, who had earlier complained to the authorities about "repeated physical and mental harassment" meted out to him by Mudasir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information