PDP draws parallel between case of Afzal, Veerappan`s aides
Jammu: PDP chief Mehbooba Mufti on Monday said the intervention of Supreme Court in the case of Veerappan`s aides has established beyond doubt that Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru was denied a legal option.
"Intervention of the Supreme Court in the case of Veerappan`s associates and staying of their execution even after the President`s rejection of the mercy petition, has established beyond doubt that Afzal was denied a legal option," the PDP leader said.
On the ground of eight year delay in deciding on the mercy plea of the four aides of sandalwood smuggler Veerappan, who were to be hanged for killing 22 police personnel in a land-mine blast, a Supreme Court bench headed by Chief Justice Altamas Kabir today agreed to hear their plea for commutation of death sentence to life imprisonment.
Mufti claimed here that the government`s refusal to hand over Afzal`s remains to his family was a "gross violation" of their rights.
"Not just fundamental human rights of the family are being violated, even the religious requirement of proper and decent last rites have been denied, which will leave a deep scar on people`s minds," she said.
The NC and Congress have shown that whenever they get together to share power, Kashmiris paid a heavy price, Mehbooba alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!