PDP draws parallel between case of Afzal, Veerappan`s aides
Jammu: PDP chief Mehbooba Mufti on Monday said the intervention of Supreme Court in the case of Veerappan`s aides has established beyond doubt that Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru was denied a legal option.
"Intervention of the Supreme Court in the case of Veerappan`s associates and staying of their execution even after the President`s rejection of the mercy petition, has established beyond doubt that Afzal was denied a legal option," the PDP leader said.
On the ground of eight year delay in deciding on the mercy plea of the four aides of sandalwood smuggler Veerappan, who were to be hanged for killing 22 police personnel in a land-mine blast, a Supreme Court bench headed by Chief Justice Altamas Kabir today agreed to hear their plea for commutation of death sentence to life imprisonment.
Mufti claimed here that the government`s refusal to hand over Afzal`s remains to his family was a "gross violation" of their rights.
"Not just fundamental human rights of the family are being violated, even the religious requirement of proper and decent last rites have been denied, which will leave a deep scar on people`s minds," she said.
The NC and Congress have shown that whenever they get together to share power, Kashmiris paid a heavy price, Mehbooba alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch