PDP for SAC`s independent investigation wing
Jammu: The PDP on Thursday said the State
Accountability Commission, the highest anti-corruption body in
Jammu and Kashmir, should have its independent investigation
"SAC should be provided with its own independent probe
wing so that corruption cases can be investigated independent
of government interference in Jammu and Kashmir," PDP patron
Mufti Mohammed Sayeed said at a public meeting here.
Officers of proved merit and integrity be appointed in
this investigation wing, he said, adding that there was a
pressing need for strengthening institutions of SAC and
Mufti said one of the ways could be transferring the
administrative control of the Vigilance Organisation to SAC so
that it could remain free of political influence.
He said his government had established the SAC in 2003
with the objective of curbing corruption in high places.
"The institution was equivalent to the proposed Lokpal
and brought even the Chief Minister under its purview. Though
it had started well but, unfortunately, the present government
had made it completely defunct for more than two years and in
the process the commission suffered a credibility crisis,"
This has resulted in complete breakdown of accountability
and administrative scrutiny in government departments, he
said, adding that corrupt elements in politics and
administration are having a field day in absence of any curbs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened