PDP for strengthening democratic institutions
Srinagar: Accusing the Omar Abdullah led
coalition government of depriving the citizens of their
fundamental rights and liberty, opposition PDP on Tuesday said that
strengthening of democratic institutions would play an
important role in channelising the aspirations of the people.
"This government has lowered the prestige of country`s
judicial system and constitutional scheme by muzzling the
voice of dissent and putting in jail people like 85-year-old
Ashraf Sehrai and teenagers, who should have been in schools
and colleges," DP patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed said addressing
a public meeting at Kupwara, 100 kms from here.
Sayeed said it was a blot on the country`s name that
hundreds of people continue to be behind bars for the mere use
of their right to express a dissenting view.
"Democracy is a battle of ideas and no jail is strong
enough to imprison an idea. Many ideas about the state, its
problems and resolution have been articulated from time to
time which has resulted in uncertainty and miseries for
people. But the zero sum game can be ended only by meeting an
idea with a more creative idea which is in tune with the
spirit and reality of our times," he said.
The PDP patron said the formulation of self rule by
his party is an effort in that direction.
"It is my life`s ambition and belief that J&K will
come out of its cycle of destruction and uncertainty sooner
than later," he said.
He reiterated that the institutions like the state
assembly and the panchayats have an important role in
articulating and channelising the aspirations of the people.
"They are not anybody`s proxies or rubber stamps," the
PDP supremo said and referred to the autonomy resolution
passed by the state Assembly in 2000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone