PDP holds protest in J&K Assembly over imposition of curfew
Jammu: The Opposition People`s Democratic Party (PDP) on Friday protested in the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly over imposition of curfew and demanded reply from the government.
Expressing concerns over the situation in Kashmir Valley, PDP MLA Abdul Rehman Veeri stood up along with other members of the party, as the House assembled this morning and raised slogans demanding a reply from the government.
Blaming the Omar Abdullah-government for its failure to control the situation, Veeri alleged that the government has turned the Valley into a prison by resorting to curfews and chain of arrests.
"What was the need for imposing curfew in Valley -- the Chief Minister was himself triggering disturbances by his statements and then ruling the state through the barrel of the gun", he said.
Independent MLA, Engineer Abdul Rashid, also joined the protests and trooped into the Well of the House, raising slogans against the government.
Demanding a discussion, he went on protesting even as the Question Hour continued.
When Speaker Mubarak Gul allowed members to speak on the issue, Veeri and Rashid spoke, but the government did not reply.
Later on talking to reporters, Rashid said that the government has imposed curfew in every village taking the help of the Army and the CRPF.
"If Kashmiris are your own people then why have you imposed curfew?" he wondered adding, political measures and not curfew, was the solution to the Valley`s problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees