PDP holds protest in J&K Assembly over imposition of curfew
Jammu: The Opposition People`s Democratic Party (PDP) on Friday protested in the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly over imposition of curfew and demanded reply from the government.
Expressing concerns over the situation in Kashmir Valley, PDP MLA Abdul Rehman Veeri stood up along with other members of the party, as the House assembled this morning and raised slogans demanding a reply from the government.
Blaming the Omar Abdullah-government for its failure to control the situation, Veeri alleged that the government has turned the Valley into a prison by resorting to curfews and chain of arrests.
"What was the need for imposing curfew in Valley -- the Chief Minister was himself triggering disturbances by his statements and then ruling the state through the barrel of the gun", he said.
Independent MLA, Engineer Abdul Rashid, also joined the protests and trooped into the Well of the House, raising slogans against the government.
Demanding a discussion, he went on protesting even as the Question Hour continued.
When Speaker Mubarak Gul allowed members to speak on the issue, Veeri and Rashid spoke, but the government did not reply.
Later on talking to reporters, Rashid said that the government has imposed curfew in every village taking the help of the Army and the CRPF.
"If Kashmiris are your own people then why have you imposed curfew?" he wondered adding, political measures and not curfew, was the solution to the Valley`s problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand