PDP holds protest in J&K Assembly over imposition of curfew
Jammu: The Opposition People`s Democratic Party (PDP) on Friday protested in the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly over imposition of curfew and demanded reply from the government.
Expressing concerns over the situation in Kashmir Valley, PDP MLA Abdul Rehman Veeri stood up along with other members of the party, as the House assembled this morning and raised slogans demanding a reply from the government.
Blaming the Omar Abdullah-government for its failure to control the situation, Veeri alleged that the government has turned the Valley into a prison by resorting to curfews and chain of arrests.
"What was the need for imposing curfew in Valley -- the Chief Minister was himself triggering disturbances by his statements and then ruling the state through the barrel of the gun", he said.
Independent MLA, Engineer Abdul Rashid, also joined the protests and trooped into the Well of the House, raising slogans against the government.
Demanding a discussion, he went on protesting even as the Question Hour continued.
When Speaker Mubarak Gul allowed members to speak on the issue, Veeri and Rashid spoke, but the government did not reply.
Later on talking to reporters, Rashid said that the government has imposed curfew in every village taking the help of the Army and the CRPF.
"If Kashmiris are your own people then why have you imposed curfew?" he wondered adding, political measures and not curfew, was the solution to the Valley`s problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city