PDP holds protest in J&K Assembly over imposition of curfew
Jammu: The Opposition People`s Democratic Party (PDP) on Friday protested in the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly over imposition of curfew and demanded reply from the government.
Expressing concerns over the situation in Kashmir Valley, PDP MLA Abdul Rehman Veeri stood up along with other members of the party, as the House assembled this morning and raised slogans demanding a reply from the government.
Blaming the Omar Abdullah-government for its failure to control the situation, Veeri alleged that the government has turned the Valley into a prison by resorting to curfews and chain of arrests.
"What was the need for imposing curfew in Valley -- the Chief Minister was himself triggering disturbances by his statements and then ruling the state through the barrel of the gun", he said.
Independent MLA, Engineer Abdul Rashid, also joined the protests and trooped into the Well of the House, raising slogans against the government.
Demanding a discussion, he went on protesting even as the Question Hour continued.
When Speaker Mubarak Gul allowed members to speak on the issue, Veeri and Rashid spoke, but the government did not reply.
Later on talking to reporters, Rashid said that the government has imposed curfew in every village taking the help of the Army and the CRPF.
"If Kashmiris are your own people then why have you imposed curfew?" he wondered adding, political measures and not curfew, was the solution to the Valley`s problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in