PDP, JKNPP MLAs boycott Governor`s address; MLA marshalled out
Jammu: The Budget Session of Jammu and Kashmir Assembly got off to a stormy start on Thursday with Opposition members boycotting the Governors` inaugural address and staging dharna over the issue of Afzal Guru`s hanging.
Protests over the Parliament attack convict`s execution also led to independent MLA Engineer Abdul Rashid being marshalled out from the Assembly for disrupting the Governor`s speech while PDP MLAs staged demonstration in front of the Assembly complex demanding that Guru`s mortal remains be handed over to his family.
Led by Leader of the Opposition Mehbooba Mufti, PDP MLAs criticised the state government for its failure to stop Guru`s execution.
"The people of Kashmir want to know whether (their state) is part and parcel of Indian democracy. If it is (then) why was Guru, whose number as a (death row) prisoner was No 28, executed earlier," Mehbooba said.
"Why was he not allowed to meet his children and family? It is a grave injustice," she said.
PDP MLAs boycotted Governor NN Vohra`s address saying Governor was part and parcel of democracy and this was their way of registering protest over Guru`s execution.
Legislators of Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party also boycotted the Governor`s address and, led by party MLA Harshdev Singh, sat on dharna in front of the Assembly complex demanding dismissal of the Omar Abdullah government for its "total failure on every front"."There is a high degree of corruption and nepotism in the administration (as also) the failure in implementing most centrally-sponsored schemes and the failure to stop the killings of sarpanches," Singh said.
As the Governor started his joint address in the Central Hall of the Legislature Complex, Independent MLA Engineer Rashid interrupted the speech while showing an allegedly controversial poster.
He said Guru`s hanging would increase the feeling of alienation among the young generation in Kashmir.
As he continued to disrupt the Governor`s address, the watch and ward staff marshalled him out from the Central Hall.
BJP legislators also hit out at the National Conference-led government and raised the issue of regional discrimination in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked