PDP, like AAP, brought in new moral factor in politics: Mufti
Jammu: Asserting that PDP in 2002, like Aam Aadami Party (AAP) now, had introduced a new moral factor in the politics of Jammu and Kashmir, party patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed today recalled how the party too had taken a month to form coalition government with Congress while the state was put under a brief spell of Governor`s rule.
"We had taken about a month to form coalition government with Congress and others, but not before formulation a comprehensive Common Minimum Programme (CMP) which emphasised on the resolution of Kashmir problem, restoration of dignity of people and setting a new developmental era in Jammu and Kashmir," Sayeed said.
"We had not shown any hesitation to form the government which even necessitated a brief spell of Governor rule in the state," he said.
Recalling the circumstances in the state post 2002 polls, Mufti said, "PDP, like AAP now, had introduced a new moral factor in the politics of J&K."
Addressing a meeting in Vijaypur in Samba, Sayeed said there was no room for cynicism regarding AAP`s promise to institutionalise transparency in the system and asserted that it was possible with a sincere leadership, strong political will and a clear vision.
He recalled how PDP delivered an effective pro-people governance in the state.
"The coalition even delivered more than what the manifestos of Congress and PDP had promised," he said, adding that the "seizure around the state began to lift" and helped Indo-Pak friendship to blossom, with the initiatives of the then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
He said though PDP had partnered with Congress in the state and BJP-led NDA ruled the Centre, it was the state`s "conviction and sincerity" that got it all the assistance from the Centre.
On the campaign against corruption, Mufti said while Jan Lok Pal is still being debated at the national level, PDP-Cong government had constituted the State Accountability Commission (SAC), similar to Jan Lok Pal way back in 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened