PDP not to hold foundation day anniversary due to Eid
Srinagar: Opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) today gave a miss to its 15th foundation day anniversary celebration due to Eid-ul-Fitr Eve.
"The (PDP) party decided not to hold its foundation day celebrations in view of the happy coincidence of it falling in the festival season," a spokesman of the party said.
The PDP founder and patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed in a statement expressed satisfaction at the steady growth of the party as a platform for change in Jammu and Kashmir.
"The credit goes to the disciplined, dedicated and ideologically motivated cadre of the party and people living in all regions of the state," Sayeed said.
He said the party has now emerged as a respectable voice from the state that channelises the aspirations of the people across regions, religions and communities, representing the beautiful mosaic of the diversity of J&K.
He said the agenda of the PDP could to a large extent respond to the complex problems of the state, faced as it is with decades long political uncertainty, development deficit, unfulfilled aspirations, mounting unemployment and corruption.
The former chief minister said while the performance of the party in the recent Lok Sabha elections represents a watershed in the state`s political and democratic history, it also come as a challenge to its leadership and cadres.
"The Lok Sabha elections represented the crucial step forward in investing the electoral process in the state with much needed credibility and one can hope it serves to inspire the people to exercise their franchise more effectively in order to shape a new future for the state," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Solar Impulse 2 lands in Spain, completes world's first Atlantic flight
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death