PDP pins hope on new govt in Pak for renewal of peace process
Srinagar: Opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Sunday welcomed the "successful completion" of general elections in Pakistan and expressed hope that establishment of a stable and liberal government in the neighbouring country would help pick up the threads of peace process once again.
"We welcome the successful completion of general elections in Pakistan and express hope that establishment of a stable and liberal government in that country would help pick up the threads of peace process once again," PDP patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed said here.
"I compliment the people of Pakistan for giving democracy a big boost by voting in large numbers in an atmosphere marred by threats of violence. It augurs well not just for the interests of that country, but could well impact Indo-Pakistan relations in a positive manner," he said.
Nawaz Sharif has been one of the architects of composite dialogue between the two neighbours and his "return to power has raised hopes" of a sincere follow up to the initial progress made on it, Sayeed said.
"Lack of progress on Kashmir resolution" had partly been attributed to instability in Pakistan, but with the arrival of a new government, the two countries need to capitalise on it, Sayeed said.
Earlier decision by the government on taking travel and trade across LoC to the next level, need to be implemented with a sense of urgency, the former Chief Minister said.
"The decision to extend travel facilities to sections of people other than the divided families, opening up of Kargil-Skardu Road, increasing the frequency of bus services and providing banking and other logistical backup for LoC trade were taken more than two years back and these need to be implemented," he said.
"I hope that the Prime Minister and his new counterpart in Pakistan would respond positively to the sentiments of people in two countries and take measures for early resumption of composite dialogue with special focus on the problems of J&K," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive