PDP protest in Srinagar over Farooq Abdullah`s remarks
Srinagar: The opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Tuesday organised a protest march here against controversial remarks by Union Minister Farooq Abdullah.
Dozens of PDP activists led by Tariq Hamid Karra, party leader and candidate for the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections from Srinagar constituency, took out the march in Regal Chowk area of Srinagar.
The protesters burnt the effigy of ruling National Conference patron Farooq Abdullah as part of the protest.
Karra told reporters that the National Conference had been the fountainhead of corruption in the state and it was shameless that its patron Abdullah said that Kashmiris are big thieves.
Abdullah reportedly said at a function in New Delhi, "Kashmiris are not only chors, they are Maha chors (Kashmiris are not just thieves, they are the biggest thieves)."
Farooq Abdullah Monday asserted that he had been misquoted on the subject.
"I had said it is unfortunate that we buy power for nearly two to three thousand crores, but we are not able to get that money back because there is a lot of pilferage of power.
"Many of our people are `stealing` power. It happens all over the country but the biggest transmission and distribution losses are in Jammu and Kashmir. A newspaper tried to create misunderstanding in the minds of the people by publishing this.
"I am sad that I was misquoted by the media. I had spoken about power theft in the state", Abdullah told reporters in response to criticism by the PDP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days