PDP takes out rally against custodial death
Srinagar: Opposition PDP on Wednesday took to
streets to protest against the alleged custodial death of
a ruling National Conference worker with party president
Mehbooba Mufti warning of a "long battle".
Several PDP legislators and hundreds of party workers
marched from the party headquarters to Lal Chowk through
Residency Road. They held a sit-in at Regal Chowk after riot
police stopped them.
The opposition party is demanding the "killers" of ruling
National Conference worker Syed Mohammad Yousuf, who allegedly
died in police custody after being handed over to the Crime
Branch, be identified and brought to justice.
Yousuf`s death in mysterious circumstances last week has
created a political storm in the state. Calls for the
resignation of Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and his close aide
have gained impetus.
"A person (Yousuf) goes hale and hearty into Chief
Minister`s residence and comes out half dead. This is not only
the question of Mohammad Yousuf, but an issue of a common
man," Mehbooba said addressing her party workers.
The PDP president was accompanied by party leaders
Dilawar Mir and Nizam-ud-din Bhat.
A large number of policemen had cordoned off the road
leading to the Clock Tower. Police also charged on onlookers
and party workers, leading to brief chaotic scenes.
The PDP leader asked her party workers to prepare
themselves for a "long battle" to bring in a change.
Mehbooba alleged that there has been a breakdown in the
system of governance in the state and accused Omar of leading
a corrupt government.
"When Mohammad Yousuf gave evidence of corruption to the
chief minister, the proof was uprooted," she said, alleging
that the latter has turned his home into an "interrogation"
The opposition leader also accused Omar of ordering "eye-
wash" investigations, raking up the issue of Parliament attack
convict Afzal Guru and making public the names of rape
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?