PDP takes out rally against custodial death
Srinagar: Opposition PDP on Wednesday took to
streets to protest against the alleged custodial death of
a ruling National Conference worker with party president
Mehbooba Mufti warning of a "long battle".
Several PDP legislators and hundreds of party workers
marched from the party headquarters to Lal Chowk through
Residency Road. They held a sit-in at Regal Chowk after riot
police stopped them.
The opposition party is demanding the "killers" of ruling
National Conference worker Syed Mohammad Yousuf, who allegedly
died in police custody after being handed over to the Crime
Branch, be identified and brought to justice.
Yousuf`s death in mysterious circumstances last week has
created a political storm in the state. Calls for the
resignation of Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and his close aide
have gained impetus.
"A person (Yousuf) goes hale and hearty into Chief
Minister`s residence and comes out half dead. This is not only
the question of Mohammad Yousuf, but an issue of a common
man," Mehbooba said addressing her party workers.
The PDP president was accompanied by party leaders
Dilawar Mir and Nizam-ud-din Bhat.
A large number of policemen had cordoned off the road
leading to the Clock Tower. Police also charged on onlookers
and party workers, leading to brief chaotic scenes.
The PDP leader asked her party workers to prepare
themselves for a "long battle" to bring in a change.
Mehbooba alleged that there has been a breakdown in the
system of governance in the state and accused Omar of leading
a corrupt government.
"When Mohammad Yousuf gave evidence of corruption to the
chief minister, the proof was uprooted," she said, alleging
that the latter has turned his home into an "interrogation"
The opposition leader also accused Omar of ordering "eye-
wash" investigations, raking up the issue of Parliament attack
convict Afzal Guru and making public the names of rape
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi