PDP to boycott Kashmir Assembly session
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir`s main opposition Peoples` Democratic Party (PDP) on Wednesday announced a boycott of the remaining session of the state Assembly over the Union Home Minister`s refusal to return Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru`s body to his family.
"The Home Minister (Sushilkumar Shinde) has insulted the sense of the House by refusing to return mortal remains of Afzal Guru. So, there is no use to sit in a House which has been insulted," PDP president Mehbooba Mufti said while announcing the party`s decision.
Mehbooba also claimed that the Home Minister has also insulted sentiments of Kashmiris by not returning Guru`s body. "The National Conference (ruling the state in alliance with the Congress party) has brought down the state onto its knees," she said.
The state Assembly met for the Budget Session on Feb 28. The session concludes on April 5.
The Legislative Assembly on March 4 had debated an adjournment motion on the issue moved by the PDP. The motion was also supported by the National Conference and Communist Party of India-Marxist. Some other Kashmir-centric splinter groups had also favoured the motion.
Afzal Guru, who was hanged to death on Feb 9 after remaining on death row for about eight years, was found guilty of plotting the attack on the Indian Parliament on Dec 13, 2001. He was buried in Delhi`s Tihar jail.
The Kashmir Valley has witnessed unrest and protests after the hanging of Afzal Guru. A total of 230 people, including protestors and security personnel, have been injured in clashes in the Valley since Guru`s hanging. Many areas have witnessed imposition of strict curfew as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!