PDP to boycott Kashmir Assembly session
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir`s main opposition Peoples` Democratic Party (PDP) on Wednesday announced a boycott of the remaining session of the state Assembly over the Union Home Minister`s refusal to return Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru`s body to his family.
"The Home Minister (Sushilkumar Shinde) has insulted the sense of the House by refusing to return mortal remains of Afzal Guru. So, there is no use to sit in a House which has been insulted," PDP president Mehbooba Mufti said while announcing the party`s decision.
Mehbooba also claimed that the Home Minister has also insulted sentiments of Kashmiris by not returning Guru`s body. "The National Conference (ruling the state in alliance with the Congress party) has brought down the state onto its knees," she said.
The state Assembly met for the Budget Session on Feb 28. The session concludes on April 5.
The Legislative Assembly on March 4 had debated an adjournment motion on the issue moved by the PDP. The motion was also supported by the National Conference and Communist Party of India-Marxist. Some other Kashmir-centric splinter groups had also favoured the motion.
Afzal Guru, who was hanged to death on Feb 9 after remaining on death row for about eight years, was found guilty of plotting the attack on the Indian Parliament on Dec 13, 2001. He was buried in Delhi`s Tihar jail.
The Kashmir Valley has witnessed unrest and protests after the hanging of Afzal Guru. A total of 230 people, including protestors and security personnel, have been injured in clashes in the Valley since Guru`s hanging. Many areas have witnessed imposition of strict curfew as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves