PDP to play meaningful role to resolve Kashmir issue: Mufti Mohammad Sayeed
Srinagar: Opposition PDP patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed on Monday said his party would play historic role to change political discourse of Jammu and Kashmir and facilitate any meaningful initiative to resolve the issue.
"PDP will play the role of peace facilitator to establish sustainable peace in this sub-continent. The aim of our party is to create an atmosphere of peace and stability in Jammu and Kashmir," Sayeed said while addressing a function to welcome journalist Iqbal Kazmi into the party-fold here.
Sayeed said the Peoples Democratic Party, through its convictions and commitments, had earlier convinced successive governments at New Delhi to take bold initiatives for restoring lasting peace in the region.
"PDP-led coalition, without compromising with the dignity of the people of the state, had pursued the reconciliatory process which was endorsed by successive governments at New Delhi," he said.
The former chief minister said his party has created a new space within the democratic system for the resolution of Kashmir issue.
"Having emerged as a strong regional force, PDP has to play a crucial role in the new democratic discourse for the resolution of Kashmir issue," he said.
Exhorting party cadre to educate people about PDP`s agenda of peace and development, Sayeed said in the recently- concluded Lok Sabha elections, people of state have given a clear message of change.
"With the support of the people, PDP is committed to change the present corrupt and inept dispensation to establish a new system of justice and equality in the state," he said.
Reiterating to bring people of different regions and sub-regions of the state together by bridging the gap, Sayeed said the PDP would remove the trust deficit between people of the Jammu and Kashmir and rest of the country.
"During our tenure, we had proved how to treat all regions and sub-regions equally and party would further facilitate the process of bridging the gap to ensure justice and equality to all regions and sub-regions," he said.
Calling upon party workers to agitate for peoples` issues, the PDP patron said the system has completely "collapsed" in the state and there was "no government" on the ground.
"Being a responsible Opposition party, it is duty of the PDP cadre to force the state government to solve day-to-day problems of the common masses," he said.
Kazmi said he has decided to join PDP due to the "visionary" policies and programmes of the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das