PDP to vote for Afzal Guru clemency resolution
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir`s People`s Democratic Party (PDP) Friday decided to vote for the resolution seeking clemency for Dec 13, 2001, Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, which is likely to be tabled during the forthcoming assembly session here.
"Our legislature party met here today (Friday) and in line with our stand, we have decided to vote for the clemency resolution likely to come up for vote during the forthcoming session of the assembly," party chief Mehbooba Mufti said.
"We have always opposed capital punishment. When the death sentence of Nalini convicted in Rajiv Gandhi murder can be commuted, why can`t that of Afzal Guru be commuted?"
"Rajiv Gandhi was a symbol of Indian democracy no less than the country`s Parliament," she added.
Mufti also criticized the Congress-National Conference coalition for alleged slow pace of developmental works.
"The priorities of the state government are misplaced. Funds are arbitrarily allotted to favour some people," she said.
"The government has been talking about devolution of powers to the panchayats, but despite repeated announcements no actual devolution of powers has so far taken place to the panchayats in the state", Mehbooba said.
The state legislature is meeting here for a short session beginning Sep 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees