PDP to vote for Afzal Guru clemency resolution
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir`s People`s Democratic Party (PDP) Friday decided to vote for the resolution seeking clemency for Dec 13, 2001, Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, which is likely to be tabled during the forthcoming assembly session here.
"Our legislature party met here today (Friday) and in line with our stand, we have decided to vote for the clemency resolution likely to come up for vote during the forthcoming session of the assembly," party chief Mehbooba Mufti said.
"We have always opposed capital punishment. When the death sentence of Nalini convicted in Rajiv Gandhi murder can be commuted, why can`t that of Afzal Guru be commuted?"
"Rajiv Gandhi was a symbol of Indian democracy no less than the country`s Parliament," she added.
Mufti also criticized the Congress-National Conference coalition for alleged slow pace of developmental works.
"The priorities of the state government are misplaced. Funds are arbitrarily allotted to favour some people," she said.
"The government has been talking about devolution of powers to the panchayats, but despite repeated announcements no actual devolution of powers has so far taken place to the panchayats in the state", Mehbooba said.
The state legislature is meeting here for a short session beginning Sep 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Peter Thiel tells Republican convention he is ''proud to be gay''
- Know what Kapil Sharma’s team did the moment ‘bua’ Upasana Singh quit ‘Comedy Nights Live’
- Papua New Guinea leader survives no-confidence vote
- Jose Mourinho's appointment as Manchester United coach is a great move, he knows how to win titles: David Beckham
- Graeme Cremer named Zimbabwe's Test captain for Test series against New Zealand