PDP tried to scuttle my mission: Omar on AFSPA
New Delhi: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister
Omar Abdullah tonight blamed Opposition PDP for scuttling the
mission for partial revocation of the controversial Armed
Forces (Special Powers) Act by "making statements" that the
state government should take army on board.
Winding up the discussion on Governor`s address in the
state assembly, he said his efforts for partial revocation of
AFSPA will continue and also assured the House that this will
become a reality during his tenure.
"When I advocated gradual revocation of AFSPA from some
areas of the state and was busy in talks with the Prime
Minister, other Union leadership and army, the PDP tried to
scuttle my mission by making statements that I should move on
this issue only after army permits me to do so.
"The party (PDP) did this only for political reasons. It
didn`t want the coalition government to take credit for the
initiative and played with the sentiments of the people," he
said, adding that his advocacy for gradual revocation of AFSPA
from some parts of the state where militancy has died down and
army has no role to play will continue as it possesses logical
"I would continue to work for it."
Underlining the complexity in addressing of political
issues of Jammu and Kashmir, Omar said that the state
legislature alone cannot work out a solution itself adding
that the Centre has a definite role in this regard.
"When there are parts of Jammu and Kashmir under the
occupation of Pakistan and China, we have to look for a
comprehensive strategy to address the issue amicably and
"On this floor of House I am on record to commit ten
steps forward movement towards main opposition (PDP) if it
rises above politics and moves one step forward sincerely
towards me to help address the political issue of Jammu and
Kashmir," he said highlighting the need of exhibiting the
approach of a statesman towards this problem instead of
behaving like a politician.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know