PDP will oppose J&K Police Bill, says Mufti
Srinagar: The main opposition party in Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday said it would strongly oppose the passage of the proposed Police Bill in its present form, saying many provisions in it were "undemocratic and anti-people".
"People’s Democratic Party would strongly oppose passage of J-K Police Bill in the present form," party president Mehbooba Mufti said in a statement here.
Mufti said police in the state needed drastic reforms but many provisions in the Bill were "undemocratic and anti-people".
"If this Bill is allowed to pass in its present form, we will have an Ikhwani state in which the thanedar (inspector) and not the democratic institutions or the elected representatives will set the rules of the society," she alleged.
She claimed that the proposal to create special security zones and legalisation of Village Defence Committees which could be administered according to the discretion of the police through SPOs would prove to be dangerous.
Mufti said the draft legislation has all the criteria of a "systematic undermining of democracy".
The Bill provided for arrest of a person in case of non-rendering of assistance to a police officer, which was "repressive", Mufti said.
"The objective of any new law should be to make it more accountable to democratic institutions, people-friendly and socially-oriented. The proposed law unfortunately negates any such purpose," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader