PDS allocation as per 2011 census under consideration in J&K
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir government has said that the proposal for allocation of PDS ration to the state as per 2011 census is being considered by the Centre.
"The proposal for allocation of ration to the state as per the 2011 census is under active consideration of Government of India," Minister of State for Consumer Affairs and Public Distribution and Power Shabir Ahmed Khan said.
Khan, who was speaking at a review meeting here yesterday, asserted that in view of the rising demand, an increased ration allocation for the state is expected.
The minister directed the officers to conduct frequent tours to their respective areas for ensuring hassle-free supply for beneficiaries.
He also asked them to ensure adequate stocking of food grains in rural areas.
Khan directed the consumer affairs and public distribution department to involve panchayat representatives to streamline the public distribution system, and put in place effective measures to enforce consumer protection laws.
To meet the requirement under BPL and APL category, the minister asked the officers to issue fresh ration cards after proper verification.
It was informed in the meeting that during the month of August, 1357 inspections were conducted and a fine of Rs 1,64,550 was imposed on those found violating the norms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know