Peace in S Asia linked to resolution of Kashmir issue: Geelani
Srinagar: Chairman of Hardline Hurriyat Conference Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Wednesday asked the Centre to rethink its policy on Kashmir saying peace in the entire sub-continent is linked to the resolution of Kashmir issue.
"At a time when countries are treading the path to development and prosperity at a fast speed, India and Pakistan are in a state of war because of Kashmir issue," Geelani said in a statement.
Commenting on the latest firing incidents along the Line of Control in Poonch and Uri sectors, Geelani said the hostilities between the two countries would continue unless the problem is addressed in accordance with the "aspirations" of the Kashmiris.
"Such unwanted incidents will continue to occur resulting in human losses.... Any such incident in the future can trigger another war between the two countries," Geelani said adding "since both the countries possess nuclear weapons, the consequences of such a war will be disastrous for the entire sub-continent and even threaten the very survival of the two nations."
He criticised Chief Minister Omar Abdullah for his tweets on the latest firing incidents and said his concern would have been meaningful if those responsible for the killings during the 2010 agitation were brought to justice and on issues like unnamed graves and people who go missing after arrests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’