Peaceful I-day celebrations in Valley
Srinagar: Independence day celebrations in
Kashmir passed off peacefully on Sunday even as curfew was imposed
in the region following a call by separatists to observe a
Tight security arrangements were put in place across the
capital Srinagar and other parts of the Valley to pre-empt any
"Independence day parade celebrations were held
peacefully at all district and tehsil headquarters in the
Valley", an official said.
Curfew has been imposed in Srinagar, Anantnag, Mattan,
Bijbehara and Trehgam towns while restrictions on movement of
people was in force in the rest of the Valley today, a police
He said the step was taken to prevent protests in
Anantnag and north Kashmir following the death of two persons
and injuries to six others last evening in action by security
forces at Laizbal in Anantnag and Narbal on the outskirts of
Police and paramilitary forces were seen patrolling the
Separatists had asked people to observe `black` day today
in the Valley to protest what they call as the "illegal
occupation of Jammu and Kashmir and denial of independence to
its people by India".
As the separatists had threatened social boycott of those
who venture out on the roads today in violation of their black
day call, people preferred to remain indoors in the Valley.
Shops and business markets remained closed and transport
was off the roads.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today
- Baaghi tweet review: First day first show!
- EPF interest rate: Nationwide protest by trade unions today
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput get holiday vibes! See inside
- Priyanka Chopra's dinner date with 'Baywatch' cast! View in pic