Peaceful I-day celebrations in Valley
Srinagar: Independence day celebrations in
Kashmir passed off peacefully on Sunday even as curfew was imposed
in the region following a call by separatists to observe a
Tight security arrangements were put in place across the
capital Srinagar and other parts of the Valley to pre-empt any
"Independence day parade celebrations were held
peacefully at all district and tehsil headquarters in the
Valley", an official said.
Curfew has been imposed in Srinagar, Anantnag, Mattan,
Bijbehara and Trehgam towns while restrictions on movement of
people was in force in the rest of the Valley today, a police
He said the step was taken to prevent protests in
Anantnag and north Kashmir following the death of two persons
and injuries to six others last evening in action by security
forces at Laizbal in Anantnag and Narbal on the outskirts of
Police and paramilitary forces were seen patrolling the
Separatists had asked people to observe `black` day today
in the Valley to protest what they call as the "illegal
occupation of Jammu and Kashmir and denial of independence to
its people by India".
As the separatists had threatened social boycott of those
who venture out on the roads today in violation of their black
day call, people preferred to remain indoors in the Valley.
Shops and business markets remained closed and transport
was off the roads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- As Virat Kohli and co prepare for WI tour, MS Dhoni enjoys bike ride in Ranchi rain
- Ramayana had another heroine besides SITA – Know more about her contributions
- Samajwadi Party 'goondaraj' in UP? Azam Khan slaps Project Engineer
- This gene puts you at increased kidney disease risk
- 7th Pay Commission: Here's why the latest bonanza won't amuse govt staffers much