People clash with police to protest Mirwaiz`s house arrest
Srinagar: People hurled stones at a security forces bunker here on Sunday to protest the house arrest of moderate Hurriyat leader Mirwaiz Umer Farooq.
"Some miscreants pelted stones on a security forces bunker at Saraf Kadal in downtown Srinagar this afternoon. Exercising maximum restraint, the miscreants were chased away," a police spokesman said.
No one was injured in the clash, he said.
Later, the situation was brought under control and traffic movement restored on the road, the spokesman said.
Restrictions were placed on the movement of the Mirwaiz and three other executive members of Hurriyat Conference - Shabir Ahmad Shah, Abdul Gani Bhhat and Bilal Gani Lone on Friday morning.
One person had been injured in the Friday clash between youth and police personnel following Farooq`s house arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls