People clash with police to protest Mirwaiz`s house arrest
Srinagar: People hurled stones at a security forces bunker here on Sunday to protest the house arrest of moderate Hurriyat leader Mirwaiz Umer Farooq.
"Some miscreants pelted stones on a security forces bunker at Saraf Kadal in downtown Srinagar this afternoon. Exercising maximum restraint, the miscreants were chased away," a police spokesman said.
No one was injured in the clash, he said.
Later, the situation was brought under control and traffic movement restored on the road, the spokesman said.
Restrictions were placed on the movement of the Mirwaiz and three other executive members of Hurriyat Conference - Shabir Ahmad Shah, Abdul Gani Bhhat and Bilal Gani Lone on Friday morning.
One person had been injured in the Friday clash between youth and police personnel following Farooq`s house arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj