People clash with police to protest Mirwaiz`s house arrest
Srinagar: People hurled stones at a security forces bunker here on Sunday to protest the house arrest of moderate Hurriyat leader Mirwaiz Umer Farooq.
"Some miscreants pelted stones on a security forces bunker at Saraf Kadal in downtown Srinagar this afternoon. Exercising maximum restraint, the miscreants were chased away," a police spokesman said.
No one was injured in the clash, he said.
Later, the situation was brought under control and traffic movement restored on the road, the spokesman said.
Restrictions were placed on the movement of the Mirwaiz and three other executive members of Hurriyat Conference - Shabir Ahmad Shah, Abdul Gani Bhhat and Bilal Gani Lone on Friday morning.
One person had been injured in the Friday clash between youth and police personnel following Farooq`s house arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award