People oppose shifting of Army posts in Poonch
Jammu: People living close to the Indo-Pak border in Poonch district has opposed the Army`s decision to shift its posts from Loran belt, fearing the revival of militancy in the region.
As the news about the shifting of Army posts reached the civilians, newly-elected sarpanch Khadar Hussain along with people met the commanding officer of Rashtriya Rifles troops and opposed the move.
They also contacted the post commander to protest against the move as they felt it was infusing confidence and security among the people.
Haunted by the turbulent past of militancy days, the civilians felt that those days would return after the Army leaves their village.
Loran area in Mandi tehsil of Poonch district is located in the foothills of Pir Panjal ranges. The area is rugged, remote and lacks in infrastructure and modern facilities.
Once a hotbed of militancy, sustained coordinated efforts of the security forces have brought militancy under control and restored normalcy in the area.
The Army posts located at Loran has provided much needed security to the locals and carried out successful operations against the militants.
With considerable improvement in situation, local Army authorities decided to shift these posts to a different area, an Army release said.
The people of the region, however, are reluctant to allow the Army officials shift the posts from the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui