People oppose shifting of Army posts in Poonch
Jammu: People living close to the Indo-Pak border in Poonch district has opposed the Army`s decision to shift its posts from Loran belt, fearing the revival of militancy in the region.
As the news about the shifting of Army posts reached the civilians, newly-elected sarpanch Khadar Hussain along with people met the commanding officer of Rashtriya Rifles troops and opposed the move.
They also contacted the post commander to protest against the move as they felt it was infusing confidence and security among the people.
Haunted by the turbulent past of militancy days, the civilians felt that those days would return after the Army leaves their village.
Loran area in Mandi tehsil of Poonch district is located in the foothills of Pir Panjal ranges. The area is rugged, remote and lacks in infrastructure and modern facilities.
Once a hotbed of militancy, sustained coordinated efforts of the security forces have brought militancy under control and restored normalcy in the area.
The Army posts located at Loran has provided much needed security to the locals and carried out successful operations against the militants.
With considerable improvement in situation, local Army authorities decided to shift these posts to a different area, an Army release said.
The people of the region, however, are reluctant to allow the Army officials shift the posts from the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan