People`s sensitivity should have been considered: PDP on Afzal Guru
Srinagar: Opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Saturday expressed disappointment over the hanging of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru and appealed to the people of Kashmir to exercise restraint.
"PDP is disappointed at the hanging of Afzal Guru. We had urged that political sensitivities should be taken into considering while taking a decision on his clemency plea," PDP spokesman Nayeem Akhtar said.
"We appeal to the people of Kashmir to exercise restrain and not allow repeat of 2010 situation when more than 100 youth were killed," he said.
In a guarded response to the hanging of Guru, Akhtar said PDP had appealed to President Pranab Mukherjee to commute the death sentence into a life term.
"We have been greatly disappointed and we understand that besides the legal procedure, there are other aspects of state governance for which the Constitution of India provides for clemency for the death convicts.
"Considering the sensitives and possible fall out, we had requested that the death penalty of Guru should be commuted to life sentence," he said.
Akhtar said the Centre should return the body of Guru to his family for a proper burial and last rites.
The PDP spokesman said Chief Minister Omar Abdullah cannot wash off his hands from the responsibility of Guru`s hanging.
"We don`t agree with the statement of the Chief Minister that state government had no role in the hanging. His party is part of the UPA and the responsibility of such decisions is collective," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report