Pilgrim rush to Vaishno Devi touches all-time high
Katra: Obliterating all previous records,
over 80 lakh pilgirms visited the holy cave shrine of Vaishno
Devi, nestled in Trikuta hills in Jammu and Kashmir, this
"A new milestone has been set. Over 80 lakh pilgrims
visited the shrine till December 25 this year, surpassing all
previous records," an Additional Chief Executive Officer of
the Vaishno Devi Shrine Board said.
Till today, a total of 80,30,807 devotees had paid
obeisance at the shrine which was 12.85 lakh more than the
previous year, Mandeep Bandari told PTI.
In 2007, as many as 74.17 lakh worshippers had offered
prayers at the revered shrine, he said.
The dip in the pilgrim flow last year, which saw 67.5
lakh devotees visiting the shrine, was due to the two-month
long Amarnath land row in the state.
In 2006, the pilgrim turnout was 69.5 lakh and in `05
it was 67.83 lakh, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?