PM announces Rs 8,000 crore for building roads in J&K
Leh: Prime Minister Narendra Modi today announced a package of Rs 8,000 crore for building of roads in Jammu and Kashmir and waiver of Rs 60 crore in interest owed by the state government to the Food Corporation of India.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had flagged the issue during his recent meetings with the central leadership and the Prime Minister, who was here on a day-long visit, announced he will push for the proposal in the union cabinet for granting Rs 8,000 crore to the state.
Modi said at a public rally that "I assure you that I will soon push in the Union Cabinet Rs 8,000 crore project needed for four important roads in the state."
Omar had last month met Road and Surface Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari and pressed for early completion of Batote-Kishtwar road, Kargil-Zanskar, Domail-Katra road besides fast tracking the four-laning of Srinagar-Jammu National Highway.
All these roads of vital importance were in bad shape at some places due to lack of proper maintenance.
Omar had also sought construction of four tunnels in Jammu and Kashmir to link important roads, which included a tunnel at Peer Ki Gali on Mughal Road, a tunnel to connect Singhpora in Kishtwar to Vailoo in Anantnag and two tunnels between Lolab-Bandipora and Sudh Mahadev-Marmat.
The Prime Minister also announced waiving of Rs 60 crore owed by the state government to the Food Corporation of India.
The Union Cabinet had recently written off the Rs 60 crore of interest amount to be paid by the state Government to the FCI for purchase of foodgrains on credit in 1999-2002.
The FCI had supplied foodgrains on credit between 1999 and 2002 to Jammu and Kashmir.
The state government has already paid the cost of foodgrains and had requested the Centre to write off the interest payment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!