PM may not visit Uri project during J&K visit
New Delhi: The Uri Hydel project, whose second phase (240 MW) was scheduled to have been inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during his two-day visit to Jammu and Kashmir beginning June 25, is now not expected to be on his itinerary.
The power project being built by the state-run National Hydel Power Corporation (NHPC), which was to have been operationalised after being inaugurated by the Prime Minister, is believed to have hit a last minute snag in its functioning during trial runs.
The NHPC, during the trial runs, found a lot of slit near head as well as at the rear tunnel during the mandatory pre-testing on June 18 ahead of a VVIP visit, according to sources today. The project, second on river Jhelum in Uri town, is located downstream of 480-MW Uri-I.
Uri-II would have helped NHPC to increase its hydropower generation capacity to 1,920 MW in J and K from five projects in the state. The other four projects are 690-MW Salal, 480-MW Uri-I, 390-MW Dulhasti and 120-MW Sewa-II.
NHPC officials when contacted about the reported snag refused to comment.
However, some NHPC officials claimed that since the local population in the border town of Uri, located in North Kashmir, wanted job opportunities they would have attempted to disrupt the VVIP visit.
The Prime Minister, who is scheduled to arrive in Udhampur on June 25, would be visiting Kishtwar where he will lay the foundation stone of the 850 MW Ratle Hydel power project on river Chenab at Drabshala.
Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi will address a public rally at Kishtwar before flying to Srinagar where the Prime Minister will be meeting a host of political and business delegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog