PM may not visit Uri project during J&K visit
New Delhi: The Uri Hydel project, whose second phase (240 MW) was scheduled to have been inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during his two-day visit to Jammu and Kashmir beginning June 25, is now not expected to be on his itinerary.
The power project being built by the state-run National Hydel Power Corporation (NHPC), which was to have been operationalised after being inaugurated by the Prime Minister, is believed to have hit a last minute snag in its functioning during trial runs.
The NHPC, during the trial runs, found a lot of slit near head as well as at the rear tunnel during the mandatory pre-testing on June 18 ahead of a VVIP visit, according to sources today. The project, second on river Jhelum in Uri town, is located downstream of 480-MW Uri-I.
Uri-II would have helped NHPC to increase its hydropower generation capacity to 1,920 MW in J and K from five projects in the state. The other four projects are 690-MW Salal, 480-MW Uri-I, 390-MW Dulhasti and 120-MW Sewa-II.
NHPC officials when contacted about the reported snag refused to comment.
However, some NHPC officials claimed that since the local population in the border town of Uri, located in North Kashmir, wanted job opportunities they would have attempted to disrupt the VVIP visit.
The Prime Minister, who is scheduled to arrive in Udhampur on June 25, would be visiting Kishtwar where he will lay the foundation stone of the 850 MW Ratle Hydel power project on river Chenab at Drabshala.
Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi will address a public rally at Kishtwar before flying to Srinagar where the Prime Minister will be meeting a host of political and business delegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India