PM meets locals hit hard by cloudburst
Leh: With tears in their eyes, women and
children narrated their woes to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
who gave them a patient hearing during his visit to a relief
camp set up for cloudburst and flash flood victims here Tuesday.
Accompanied by senior Cabinet colleagues Ghulam Nabi
Azad and Farooq Abdullah and state Chief Minister Omar
Abdullah, Singh went to the worst-hit Choglamsar area, nearly
12 kms from town, by road.
The Prime Minister went straight to a relief camp set
up for the villagers where women and children gathered around
him. Wailing women conveyed their problems to the Prime
Minister with state Tourism Minister Nawang Rigzin Jora acting
as a translator.
Singh gave a patient hearing to the people and assured
them of all possible help from his side in this calamity which
has so far claimed nearly 200 lives. He assured them that all
the houses will be built within two months and money "will
not be a problem".
He was briefed by locals about the extent of damage in
the village and nearby areas.
The jawans of ITBP, BRO personnel and Army were seen
trying to clear debris from the damaged roads, connecting the
villages with the town area, which was hit by nature`s fury
on August 6.
Azad urged the local youths to participate in the
rebuilding process as getting labour from outside could delay
the work due to the acclimatisation issue relating to the
Security personnel had ensured that the Prime
Minister`s visit had no impact on the daily routine of the
villagers as shops were not closed and people were seen
lined up alongside the road to welcome Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi