PM Narendra Modi hits out at Pakistan for proxy war against India
Leh/Kargil: In his first direct attack on Pakistan after coming to power, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday accused it of indulging in a proxy war killing innocent people in India as it has lost the power to fight a conventional war.
He said the number of army casualties is bigger in the proxy war than in a conventional battle.
"It is unfortunate that our neighbour`s attitude...They have lost the power to fight a war but they use proxy war. There has been a process of killing innocent people through this proxy war.
"How many innocents are being killed? The number of people getting killed through the bullets of cowards is more than those killed in conventional wars," he said addressing Army and Air Force troops on his maiden trip to Leh.
Also Read: PM Narendra Modi in Leh-Kargil - As it happened...
The sharp attack on Pakistan by Modi came more than two months after assuming office and in the midst of his peace initiatives. Modi had invited Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and other SAARC leaders for his swearing-in on May 26.
His remarks also came close on the heels of India`s mounting concerns over repeated ceasefire violations by Pakistan and increasing number of militant attacks in Kashmir, the latest carried out last night on a BSF convoy at Pampore in South Kashmir`s Pulwama district, leaving eight personnel including an officer injured.
"They fight proxy war. This is (fight against it) not limited to India but of the entire world. That is why the need of the hour is to have humane forces come together than strengthening one`s military might. When all humane forces of the world come together than they will stop those indulging in violence," he said.
Flanked by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, Governor N N Vohra, Army Chief Dalbir Singh Suhag and National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, Modi also spoke of modernisation of Army and the decision to allow FDI in defence sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you