PM to visit Leh on Tuesday
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will on Tuesday visit devastated Leh in Jammu and Kashmir that was hit by flash floods caused by a cloudburst, an official said here on Sunday.
"The PM will undertake a day-long visit to Leh on Tuesday," an official in the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) told a news agency.
Flash floods wreaked havoc in Leh in Jammu and Kashmir`s Ladakh region August 6, killing at least 183 people, including five foreigners, while 200 people are still missing.
Officials said the places the Prime Minister is to visit have not been finalised, but sources said he would meet the injured in the hospital and also review the relief and rehabilitation measures.
In his Independence Day speech Sunday, the prime minister condoled the deaths and said the government "will do everything" possible for the rehabilitation of the affected people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened