PM to visit Leh on Tuesday
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will on Tuesday visit devastated Leh in Jammu and Kashmir that was hit by flash floods caused by a cloudburst, an official said here on Sunday.
"The PM will undertake a day-long visit to Leh on Tuesday," an official in the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) told a news agency.
Flash floods wreaked havoc in Leh in Jammu and Kashmir`s Ladakh region August 6, killing at least 183 people, including five foreigners, while 200 people are still missing.
Officials said the places the Prime Minister is to visit have not been finalised, but sources said he would meet the injured in the hospital and also review the relief and rehabilitation measures.
In his Independence Day speech Sunday, the prime minister condoled the deaths and said the government "will do everything" possible for the rehabilitation of the affected people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing