Police arrest Yasin Malik in Srinagar; prevent march
Srinagar: Separatist leader Muhammad Yasin Malik was arrested here Sunday as he was taking out a protest march on the first anniversary of December 2001 Indian Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru`s hanging.
Malik, chairman of the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), along with dozens of his supporters tried to take out a protest march from his office in Maisuma towards city centre Lal Chowk.
The JKLF march was part of the group`s demand for the return of the mortal remains of Afzal Guru to his family.
Police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel intercepted the march at Maisuma and took Malik and some of his supporters into preventive custody.
Malik has been evading arrest for the last few days since the announcement of his decision to lead the march Sunday.
All other senior separatist leaders have been taken into preventive custody by the police except for Syed Ali Geelani, who was placed under house arrest immediately after he arrived here from Delhi Saturday.
Security forces have imposed restrictions in parts of Srinagar city and some other major towns of the Kashmir Valley to maintain law and order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog