Police arrest Yasin Malik in Srinagar; prevent march
Srinagar: Separatist leader Muhammad Yasin Malik was arrested here Sunday as he was taking out a protest march on the first anniversary of December 2001 Indian Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru`s hanging.
Malik, chairman of the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), along with dozens of his supporters tried to take out a protest march from his office in Maisuma towards city centre Lal Chowk.
The JKLF march was part of the group`s demand for the return of the mortal remains of Afzal Guru to his family.
Police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel intercepted the march at Maisuma and took Malik and some of his supporters into preventive custody.
Malik has been evading arrest for the last few days since the announcement of his decision to lead the march Sunday.
All other senior separatist leaders have been taken into preventive custody by the police except for Syed Ali Geelani, who was placed under house arrest immediately after he arrived here from Delhi Saturday.
Security forces have imposed restrictions in parts of Srinagar city and some other major towns of the Kashmir Valley to maintain law and order.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket