Police arrest Yasin Malik in Srinagar; prevent march
Srinagar: Separatist leader Muhammad Yasin Malik was arrested here Sunday as he was taking out a protest march on the first anniversary of December 2001 Indian Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru`s hanging.
Malik, chairman of the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), along with dozens of his supporters tried to take out a protest march from his office in Maisuma towards city centre Lal Chowk.
The JKLF march was part of the group`s demand for the return of the mortal remains of Afzal Guru to his family.
Police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel intercepted the march at Maisuma and took Malik and some of his supporters into preventive custody.
Malik has been evading arrest for the last few days since the announcement of his decision to lead the march Sunday.
All other senior separatist leaders have been taken into preventive custody by the police except for Syed Ali Geelani, who was placed under house arrest immediately after he arrived here from Delhi Saturday.
Security forces have imposed restrictions in parts of Srinagar city and some other major towns of the Kashmir Valley to maintain law and order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Kashmir issue can be resolved politically, not judicially: SC
- SpiceJet to launch flights to Silchar, Aizwal
- BCCI AGM on September 21; Board awaits Review Petition verdict
- Kareena Kapoor Khan to kickstart shooting for 'Veere Di Wedding'! Deets inside
- 'Mohenjo Daro' crosses Rs 100 crore-mark worldwide