Police Bill deserves rational discussion: BJP
Jammu: A "rational and objective" discussion needed on the Draft Jammu and Kashmir Police Bill 2013, state unit of BJP said on Thursday.
"Instead of outrightly rejecting the `Draft Jammu and Kashmir Police Bill 2013`, there is need for a rational and objective discussion on various proposals incorporated in it," BJP chief spokesperson and National Executive Member, Jitendra Singh, said here.
Singh said that the BJP has always favoured total accountability of police personnel without impinging on the democratic liberties of a common citizen.
He, however, mentioned that it should not lead to any bias or prejudice against bringing in reforms particularly in the light of the fact that the existing Police Act in Jammu and Kashmir was framed way back in 1927.
"Over the last one century, not only the nature of crime has changed but the society`s expectations from police have also evolved to a different level. It was considering this fact that the Supreme Court of India had, six years ago, put forward the suggestion of police reforms," he said.
Singh said that proposal for empowerment of Village Defence Committees (VDCs), envisaged in the Draft Police Bill, has been a long standing demand of BJP.
"Since a long time, we have been demanding empowerment of Village Defence Committees and it is in recognition of a commendable role played by the VDCs during the peak of militancy in the state," he said.
"Proposal for creation of Special Security Zones can be discussed threadbare, but it should not be seen as usurping the prerogative of the Centre or the Parliament of India to enact Disturbed Areas Act (DAA) or deploy Army with AFSPA," he added.
J&K has gone through a protracted phase of terrorism and this reality cannot be ignored.
Calling for a dispassionate debate on reforms, the BJP leader appealed to Kashmir-centric political groups not to exploit the issue to raise separatist passions and assured that wherever there is an unwarranted intrusion into a common citizen`s freedom, the BJP will oppose it without any compromise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly