Police detains protesting govt employees in J&K
Srinagar: Over 100 government employees were detained here Thursday as police scuttled their protest march, which was a part of three-day strike demanding enhancement of retirement age to 60 years and regularisation of daily wagers.
Thousands of employees staged a massive demonstration at Sher-e-Kashmir park in the heart of Srinagar. Police acted when the protesters tried to take out a march to the office of the Divisional Commissioner, Kashmir, official sources said.
The slogan-shouting employees were stopped and baton charged by police at Regal Chowk and over 100 employees including their leader Khurshid Aalam were detained, they said.
Over 4.5 lakh government employees went on a three-day strike from Tuesday in response to the call given by Joint Consultative Committee (JCC) - an amalgam of various employees` bodies - badly affecting work in government offices across Jammu and Kashmir.
Accusing government of pushing JCC to the wall, the employees` leaders threatened to intensify their stir if the government failed to meet their demands.
"The government came to an agreement with us last year but failed to implement the promises...We want implementation of the agreement, otherwise a more decisive and indefinite strike would be initiated," Aalam said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Watch Video: BlackBerry DTEK50, the world's most secured Android smartphone
- Unbelievable: Thousands throng daily at Taiwan McDonald's store to see a girl – Know why
- Kusal Mendis inspires Sri Lanka to a 196-run lead over Australia on a topsy-turvy 3rd day
- Former BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu to join AAP on August 15?
- Bank employees to go on strike on Friday, services to be hit