Police detains protesting govt employees in J&K
Srinagar: Over 100 government employees were detained here Thursday as police scuttled their protest march, which was a part of three-day strike demanding enhancement of retirement age to 60 years and regularisation of daily wagers.
Thousands of employees staged a massive demonstration at Sher-e-Kashmir park in the heart of Srinagar. Police acted when the protesters tried to take out a march to the office of the Divisional Commissioner, Kashmir, official sources said.
The slogan-shouting employees were stopped and baton charged by police at Regal Chowk and over 100 employees including their leader Khurshid Aalam were detained, they said.
Over 4.5 lakh government employees went on a three-day strike from Tuesday in response to the call given by Joint Consultative Committee (JCC) - an amalgam of various employees` bodies - badly affecting work in government offices across Jammu and Kashmir.
Accusing government of pushing JCC to the wall, the employees` leaders threatened to intensify their stir if the government failed to meet their demands.
"The government came to an agreement with us last year but failed to implement the promises...We want implementation of the agreement, otherwise a more decisive and indefinite strike would be initiated," Aalam said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!