Police files rioting case against Army in Leh
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Police has
registered a case against unidentified Army personnel for allegedly entering three hotels in the dead of the night in Leh and harassing tourists, including foreigners, earlier this
The incident took place during the intervening night of
May 30 and 31 when Army personnel from 3 Division based at
Kharu in Leh area of Ladakh region barged into Hotel
Masarovar, Holiday Inn and Keddar Guest House, official
sources said Friday.
They said the soldiers, carrying weapons and wearing
uniforms without name badges, questioned the tourists without
taking local police into confidence as required under law.
One of the tourists had taken pictures of the Army
personnel and complained to local police about harassment by
the troops, the sources said.
They said as the police tried to intervene in the matter,
the soldiers allegedly manhandled them. The Army personnel
were heard repeatedly shouting that someone in the hotels was
using a satellite phone.
Several foreign tourists staying in these hotels felt
harassed in the process and threatened to lodge a complaint
with the Government through their embassies, the sources said.
A defence spokesman, while denying harassment to the
tourists, claimed that Army had stepped up vigil in Leh region
following intelligence inputs that terrorists were planning to
disrupt the tourism in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price