Police officer, Army jawan killed in encounter with militants
Srinagar: A police sub-inspector and an Army
jawan were killed in a fierce gunbattle with militants on Tuesday
in Tral town in south Kashmir, police officials said.
Police assisted by troops of 42 Rashtriya Rifles launched
a search operation in the Dadsar village in Tral, 35 km from
here, following a tip-off about the presence of militants
there, they said.
As the security forces entered the house where the
militants were hiding, they faced a hail of bullets killing
Sub-Inspector Norbo and an army jawan, who has not been
After a fierce gunbattle, which lasted nearly two hours,
security forces entered the house and retrieved the bodies of
their colleagues, the officials said. However, the ultras had
escaped from the house.
The area continues to be under tight cordon as the
militants, believed to be two to three in number, are
suspected to have taken refuge in some nearby houses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster