Police officer, Army jawan killed in encounter with militants
Srinagar: A police sub-inspector and an Army
jawan were killed in a fierce gunbattle with militants on Tuesday
in Tral town in south Kashmir, police officials said.
Police assisted by troops of 42 Rashtriya Rifles launched
a search operation in the Dadsar village in Tral, 35 km from
here, following a tip-off about the presence of militants
there, they said.
As the security forces entered the house where the
militants were hiding, they faced a hail of bullets killing
Sub-Inspector Norbo and an army jawan, who has not been
After a fierce gunbattle, which lasted nearly two hours,
security forces entered the house and retrieved the bodies of
their colleagues, the officials said. However, the ultras had
escaped from the house.
The area continues to be under tight cordon as the
militants, believed to be two to three in number, are
suspected to have taken refuge in some nearby houses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Conversion of forest land the reason behind weakening of monsoon: Research
- Italy earthquake death toll rises to 247 as rescuers desperately search for survivors
- Sensex firms up 78 points in early trade on F&O expiry
- Piers Morgan pokes fun at India's performance in Rio: Here's how Virender Sehwag SHUT him down
- Raj Thackeray defies SC order, MNS ties Dahi-Handi at 49 feet in Thane