Police officer, Army jawan killed in encounter with militants
Srinagar: A police sub-inspector and an Army
jawan were killed in a fierce gunbattle with militants on Tuesday
in Tral town in south Kashmir, police officials said.
Police assisted by troops of 42 Rashtriya Rifles launched
a search operation in the Dadsar village in Tral, 35 km from
here, following a tip-off about the presence of militants
there, they said.
As the security forces entered the house where the
militants were hiding, they faced a hail of bullets killing
Sub-Inspector Norbo and an army jawan, who has not been
After a fierce gunbattle, which lasted nearly two hours,
security forces entered the house and retrieved the bodies of
their colleagues, the officials said. However, the ultras had
escaped from the house.
The area continues to be under tight cordon as the
militants, believed to be two to three in number, are
suspected to have taken refuge in some nearby houses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city