Police officer shot dead by militants in J&K
Srinagar: A police officer was shot dead by militants in Pulwama district of south Kashmir Friday.
Assistant Sub-Inspector Farooq Ahmad was shot from point-blank range by unidentified pistol-borne militants in Pulwama town, 32 kms from here, this afternoon, a police spokesman said.
He said the officer was taken to nearby Pulwama district hospital where he succumbed to injuries.
Ahmad, who was posted in Pulwama Police Station, was on law and order duty at the time of the attack, police said, adding he was not carrying his service weapon with him.
Police have cordoned off the area and a hunt has been launched to nab the militants.
This is the second militant attack on policemen in the Valley within a fortnight.
On April 27, militants had shot dead four cops in Haigam area of Sopore in Baramulla district of north Kashmir.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know