Police, protesters clash disrupts traffic on Gulmarg route
Srinagar: Hundreds of vehicles were stranded for hours following clashes between police and protesters on Srinagar-Gulmarg road on Friday.
The clashes erupted at Narbal, 15 kms from here, after people who were protesting against an alleged incident of arson at a place of worship blocked the main road, leaving hundreds of vehicles, including those carrying tourists to and fro Gulmarg hill resort, stranded, this afternoon, the officials said.
The trouble started this morning when some angry people blocked the road at Narbalin.
The officials said senior police and civil officers rushed to the scene and pacified the protesters assuring them that an investigation is on and the culprits will be brought to book.
However, the situation took an ugly turn shortly after Friday prayers when a group of people again blocked the road and pelted stones on the police who retaliated by firing teargas shells to bring the situation under control, the officials said.
They said one policeman was injured in the clashes.
Reinforcements have been deployed in the area to ensure smooth vehicular movement on the road, the officials said.
A police spokesman said the cops exercised restraint while restoring order. A case has already been registered and investigation of the case is being followed vigorously, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress