Police, protesters clash disrupts traffic on Gulmarg route
Srinagar: Hundreds of vehicles were stranded for hours following clashes between police and protesters on Srinagar-Gulmarg road on Friday.
The clashes erupted at Narbal, 15 kms from here, after people who were protesting against an alleged incident of arson at a place of worship blocked the main road, leaving hundreds of vehicles, including those carrying tourists to and fro Gulmarg hill resort, stranded, this afternoon, the officials said.
The trouble started this morning when some angry people blocked the road at Narbalin.
The officials said senior police and civil officers rushed to the scene and pacified the protesters assuring them that an investigation is on and the culprits will be brought to book.
However, the situation took an ugly turn shortly after Friday prayers when a group of people again blocked the road and pelted stones on the police who retaliated by firing teargas shells to bring the situation under control, the officials said.
They said one policeman was injured in the clashes.
Reinforcements have been deployed in the area to ensure smooth vehicular movement on the road, the officials said.
A police spokesman said the cops exercised restraint while restoring order. A case has already been registered and investigation of the case is being followed vigorously, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!