Police recover 15 cedar scants in Bhaderwah
Bhadarwah: Fifteen cedar scants and 11 huge logs of green cedar trees worth lakhs of rupees were recovered from Ghoraka block of Kellar range of Bhadarwah Forest Division, police said Monday.
Reacting to media reports about large scale illegal logging of green cedar trees by forest mafia in connivance with some forest officials, SSP (Doda) Aarif Rishu rushed a police team to Khalu village yesterday, police said.
During search operation, police recovered 15 green scants covered with cedar leaves and 11 huge logs extracted from green cedar trees from compartment 13 in Ghoraka block of Kellar range of Bhadarwah Forest Division, they said.
"No arrest was made as smugglers who were chopping the logs to convert them into scants managed to flee from the spot," they said.
However, police seized scants and the logs and registered a case under section 6 of Forest Act and RPC in Bhadarwah Police Station, they said.
This is the third huge recovery of illegal timber made by police this month and during these operations against forest mafia, 10 smugglers were also arrested, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr