Police recover 15 cedar scants in Bhaderwah
Bhadarwah: Fifteen cedar scants and 11 huge logs of green cedar trees worth lakhs of rupees were recovered from Ghoraka block of Kellar range of Bhadarwah Forest Division, police said Monday.
Reacting to media reports about large scale illegal logging of green cedar trees by forest mafia in connivance with some forest officials, SSP (Doda) Aarif Rishu rushed a police team to Khalu village yesterday, police said.
During search operation, police recovered 15 green scants covered with cedar leaves and 11 huge logs extracted from green cedar trees from compartment 13 in Ghoraka block of Kellar range of Bhadarwah Forest Division, they said.
"No arrest was made as smugglers who were chopping the logs to convert them into scants managed to flee from the spot," they said.
However, police seized scants and the logs and registered a case under section 6 of Forest Act and RPC in Bhadarwah Police Station, they said.
This is the third huge recovery of illegal timber made by police this month and during these operations against forest mafia, 10 smugglers were also arrested, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!