Police report backs security action during 2010 J&K unrest
The police reports deal with the 17 deaths during initial stages of the 2010 summer unrest in J&K.
Srinagar: The police reports to the
two-member Judicial Commission, probing the 17 deaths during
initial stages of the 2010 summer unrest in Jammu and Kashmir,
maintain that either security forces opened firing in self
defence or did not use live ammunition at all in most cases.
The killing of three youth in South Kashmir`s Anantnag
district on June 28, last year is the only incident in which
the police has admitted to the guilt of its personnel to some
According to the report of Director General of Police
Kuldeep Khoda on the Anantnag incident, initially there was
an attempt to blame the firing on "some unknown" persons.
The in-charge of the Laizbal police post had submitted
a docket to the Anantnag police station that the post had come
under attack from protestors armed with lathis and stones and
the mob had attacked several government properties, including
police vehicles and ambulances.
"In the meantime, some unknown persons fired upon the
procession from SK Colony resulting in serious injuries to some
persons who were shifted to hospital," the docket dated June
29, quoted in the DGP’s report to the Commission, said.
Three youth later succumbed to injuries.
However, the special investigation team, constituted
to probe the incident after public outcry alleging that the
youth were killed in cold blood, found that the incidents of
arson at Laizbal and firing at SK Colony were separate.
While civilian witnesses deposed before a magistrate
that police personnel had opened firing and they can identify
them, no identification parade was conducted till December 7,
2010 - the day on which the DGP submitted his report to the
"Due to prevailing situation in Anantnag town, the
identification parade of the involved accused persons could
not be conducted so far," Khoda wrote so nearly six months
after the incident occurred.
One constable has been arrested in connection with the
case so far.
Another incident in which police seem to have shrugged off
responsibility relates to death of 25-year-old Fancy Jan in
firing at Batamaloo in the city on July 6 last year.
"During the course of investigation, it has transpired
that bullet, which has allegedly hit the deceased (Jan), has
not been fired by the security forces or police personnel
deployed on the spot as they were not carrying any type of
fire arms/ammunition with them," Station House Officer of
Batamaloo Police Station writes in his report on September 19.
In the death of Abrar Ahmad in Maisuma area here, the
report does not mention as to how the youth was killed or who
opened the firing.
The SHO only mentions that there was a great law and
order problem in his area as an unruly mob armed with lathis
and stones defied curfew and there was heavy deployment of
police and security forces in the area.
In cases related to the three deaths, the report
mentions that the security force personnel had opened firing
in self defence as there was danger to either their life or to
the public property.
In the report related to killing of Fayaz Ahmad
Khanday at Baramulla town on July 19, the police report
claimed that the mob, which was carrying the body of another
youth who had drowned while being chased by police, had
attacked the security forces with petrol bombs and the
someone from the crowd opened firing.
"From amongst the mob, some firing shots were heard.
In the melee, several police officials sustained injuries.
Some of the miscreants also received injuries," SSP Baramulla
said his report to the commission.
The state government appointed a judicial commission
on July 27 to probe the 17 killings that took place between
June 11 and July 19 last year and submit its report within
The Commission headed by SHRC chairman Justice (retd)
Syed Bashiruddin Ahmad is expected to submit its report on the
incidents by January 28 after the term of the commission was