`Police spreading falsehood about my house arrest`
Srinagar: A day after police said there were no restrictions on his movement, Hurriyat hawk Syed Ali Shah Geelani on day accused them of spreading falsehood with regard to his house arrest and questioned round-the-clock police deployment around his residence.
"Police are resorting to falsehood to mislead the people about my house arrest. Policemen are deployed round-the-clock around my residence though I have never asked for security from the government," Geelani told reporters at his Hyderpora residence here.
Police yesterday said there were no restrictions on the movement of Geelani saying he was free to go anywhere.
The chairman of the hardline faction of the Hurriyat Conference said the policemen were following him like a shadow whenever he was allowed to move out of the house, even for a medical check-up.
"The police claim that my speech triggers stone-petling. Hence, they have barred me from offering Friday prayers. This is nothing but a fabrication.
"There were stone-pelting incidents in Bandipora and Shopian for days together after the killing of two youths even as I was under house arrest," Geelani said.
"The stone-pelting is nothing to do with me," he said.
Geelani said his house arrest was a violation of human rights.
His activities, including basic religious obligations, were being curbed by the move, he said.
Flaying the killing of a youth at Sandbal in Ganderbal two days ago, the separatist leader demanded immediate arrest of the culprits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what