Policeman among two shot dead by militants in J&K
Srinagar: Suspected militants on Friday shot dead two persons, including a police officer, in separate incidents in Pulwama district of south Kashmir.
Assistant Sub-Inspector Farooq Ahmad was shot from point-blank range by unidentified pistol-borne militants in Pulwama town, 32 kms from here, this afternoon, police said.
The officer was taken to Pulwama district hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
Ahmad, who was posted in Pulwama Police Station, was on law and order duty at the time of the attack, they said, adding that he was not carrying his service weapon with him.
This is the second militant attack on policemen in the Valley within a fortnight.
In the second incident, militants shot at and critically injured Mudassir Ahmed Mir inside his house in Pulwama town at around 9.30 PM, they said.
The militants had barged into Mir`s house and opened indiscriminate firing on him from close range.
Mir, a farmer, was taken to the district hospital where he died of his injuries.
No militant outfit has so far claimed responsibility for the killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September