Policeman among two shot dead by militants in J&K
Srinagar: Suspected militants on Friday shot dead two persons, including a police officer, in separate incidents in Pulwama district of south Kashmir.
Assistant Sub-Inspector Farooq Ahmad was shot from point-blank range by unidentified pistol-borne militants in Pulwama town, 32 kms from here, this afternoon, police said.
The officer was taken to Pulwama district hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
Ahmad, who was posted in Pulwama Police Station, was on law and order duty at the time of the attack, they said, adding that he was not carrying his service weapon with him.
This is the second militant attack on policemen in the Valley within a fortnight.
In the second incident, militants shot at and critically injured Mudassir Ahmed Mir inside his house in Pulwama town at around 9.30 PM, they said.
The militants had barged into Mir`s house and opened indiscriminate firing on him from close range.
Mir, a farmer, was taken to the district hospital where he died of his injuries.
No militant outfit has so far claimed responsibility for the killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video