Policeman injured in Kashmir gunfight
Srinagar: A policeman was injured on Friday in a gunfight between security forces and separatist guerrillas in Jammu and Kashmir`s Ganderbal district, police said.
Superintendent of Police (Ganderbal) Syed Imtiyaz Hussain said security forces moved in to surround Gotlibagh village late Thursday following specific information about guerrillas hiding there.
"When the hiding militants were challenged to surrender, they started indiscriminate automatic gunfire at the surrounding troops," the officer said.
"In the initial exchange of fire one constable was injured. We are moving in cautiously to ensure that no damage is caused to civilian life and property," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried