Policeman injured in Kashmir gunfight
Srinagar: A policeman was injured on Friday in a gunfight between security forces and separatist guerrillas in Jammu and Kashmir`s Ganderbal district, police said.
Superintendent of Police (Ganderbal) Syed Imtiyaz Hussain said security forces moved in to surround Gotlibagh village late Thursday following specific information about guerrillas hiding there.
"When the hiding militants were challenged to surrender, they started indiscriminate automatic gunfire at the surrounding troops," the officer said.
"In the initial exchange of fire one constable was injured. We are moving in cautiously to ensure that no damage is caused to civilian life and property," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends