Policeman injured in Kashmir gunfight
Srinagar: A policeman was injured on Friday in a gunfight between security forces and separatist guerrillas in Jammu and Kashmir`s Ganderbal district, police said.
Superintendent of Police (Ganderbal) Syed Imtiyaz Hussain said security forces moved in to surround Gotlibagh village late Thursday following specific information about guerrillas hiding there.
"When the hiding militants were challenged to surrender, they started indiscriminate automatic gunfire at the surrounding troops," the officer said.
"In the initial exchange of fire one constable was injured. We are moving in cautiously to ensure that no damage is caused to civilian life and property," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state