Policeman suspended for opening fire on youth
Srinagar: A policeman was suspended on Saturday after he allegedly opened fire in the air following a scuffle with a group of youth playing cricket in University of Kashmir ground here.
Superintendent of Police Hazratbal Abdul Qayoom told a news agency the police constable who opened fire has been placed under suspension.
He identified the suspended cop as Mehrajuddin of Jammu and Kashmir Armed Police (JKAP) who was on deputation at the university campus.
The official said they have found two empty cartridges in the ground but no one was injured in the firing.
University authorities, however, remained tight-lipped about the incident.
When contacted, the vice-chancellor`s office, close to where the incident took place, said he was in a "selection committee meeting".
The incident took place when a cricket ball landed in the garden adjoining the university Vice Chancellor`s office.
As one of the players went to get the ball back, an armed police guard objected to his "trespassing" into the garden.
According to eyewitnesses, the policeman "verbally abused" the player.
The situation turned violent after sometime, when the policeman returned with his colleagues, started beating up the players and spectators and opened fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?