Policeman suspended for opening fire on youth
Srinagar: A policeman was suspended on Saturday after he allegedly opened fire in the air following a scuffle with a group of youth playing cricket in University of Kashmir ground here.
Superintendent of Police Hazratbal Abdul Qayoom told a news agency the police constable who opened fire has been placed under suspension.
He identified the suspended cop as Mehrajuddin of Jammu and Kashmir Armed Police (JKAP) who was on deputation at the university campus.
The official said they have found two empty cartridges in the ground but no one was injured in the firing.
University authorities, however, remained tight-lipped about the incident.
When contacted, the vice-chancellor`s office, close to where the incident took place, said he was in a "selection committee meeting".
The incident took place when a cricket ball landed in the garden adjoining the university Vice Chancellor`s office.
As one of the players went to get the ball back, an armed police guard objected to his "trespassing" into the garden.
According to eyewitnesses, the policeman "verbally abused" the player.
The situation turned violent after sometime, when the policeman returned with his colleagues, started beating up the players and spectators and opened fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling