Poonch girl assault case: Police arrests auto driver
Jammu: Police on Sunday arrested the auto driver who allegedly assaulted a girl from a minority community last week in Poonch town, following which the area had witnessed tensions and imposition of curfew for a brief period.
"Police arrested the accused auto driver Jamail from Dalwan Bagyal forests in Poonch district today," a senior police official said.
Jamail had allegedly misbehaved with the girl on Thursday during a ride from Malti to Poonch town, which had led to shutdowns and protests by members of the minority community.
Curfew was imposed on Friday for about half a day after four persons were injured when some miscreants pelted stones at them during a protest over the incident.
Even after normalcy returned, police and administrative officials held meetings with senior members of both communities to bring the situation under control.
J&K Minister Raman Bhalla, Poonch MLA Ajaz Ahmad Jan, Divisional Commissioner of Jammu Shant Manu and Inspector General of Police (Jammu) Rajesh Kumar had rushed to Poonch to take stock of the situation.
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Indian men's hockey team clubbed with Germany, Holland in 2016 Rio Olympics
- Wanted terrorist neutralized in Assam, AK-81 assault rifle recovered
- Sussanne Khan bats for ex-husband Hrithik Roshan in Kangana Ranaut controversy
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: No bilateral meeting between PM Modi, Italian Premier Matteo Renzi at UNGA, says MEA
- Will give 'all justifications' for 8.8% EPF interest rate: Dattatreya