Poonch girl assault case: Police arrests auto driver
Jammu: Police on Sunday arrested the auto driver who allegedly assaulted a girl from a minority community last week in Poonch town, following which the area had witnessed tensions and imposition of curfew for a brief period.
"Police arrested the accused auto driver Jamail from Dalwan Bagyal forests in Poonch district today," a senior police official said.
Jamail had allegedly misbehaved with the girl on Thursday during a ride from Malti to Poonch town, which had led to shutdowns and protests by members of the minority community.
Curfew was imposed on Friday for about half a day after four persons were injured when some miscreants pelted stones at them during a protest over the incident.
Even after normalcy returned, police and administrative officials held meetings with senior members of both communities to bring the situation under control.
J&K Minister Raman Bhalla, Poonch MLA Ajaz Ahmad Jan, Divisional Commissioner of Jammu Shant Manu and Inspector General of Police (Jammu) Rajesh Kumar had rushed to Poonch to take stock of the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IPL 2016 Final: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs SunRisers Hyderabad — Possible XIs, Date, Time, Venue, TV Listing, Live Streaming
- Saif Ali Khan, Rani Mukerji's 'Hum Tum' ticks 12 years!
- Not most fashionable but carry myself well: Fawad Khan
- FIs can obtain self-certification via internet banking: CBDT
- Tata Communications Q4 net loss widens to Rs 205 crore