Power restored in some parts of freezing Kashmir
Srinagar: Freezing cold prevailed in Kashmir
Valley on Monday where Gulmarg recorded a low of minus 14.5 degree
Celsius but there was some respite for people of the city and
parts of north Kashmir as electricity was restored after three
Communication woes, however, continued for the people of
the Valley with the Srinagar-Jammu National Highway, Kashmir`s
only road link with rest of the country, remaining closed for
the fourth day as authorities were trying to clear
Ramban-Banihal and Batote-Patnitop stretches.
Due to the closure of the highway, over 2200 vehicles are
stranded at Jammu, Nagrota, Udhampur, Chenani and Ramban.
Officials said electricity supply was restored in 90 per
cent of the areas in summer capital and in many areas of north
Kashmir following restoration of Kishenpur-Wagoora
He said electricity in south Kashmir areas is likely to
be restored later this evening.
Due to unprecedented snowfall in higher reaches of Pir
Panjal mountains, a fault had developed on Kishanpur-Wagoora
Transmission Line at Pogal Paristan besides affecting as many
as 19 grid stations.
In order to maintain essential services, Jammu and
Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had directed
disconnection of power supply to the VIP grid including at his
Cold wave, meanwhile, continued unabated in the Kashmir
Srinagar city recorded a low of minus 4.2 Degrees
Celsius, an official of the MET department said.
The city had recorded the coldest day yesterday at 0.6
The official said Qazigund and Kokernag recorded a
minimum temperature of minus 7.4 degrees C followed Pahalgam
(minus 6.8 degrees C) and Kupwara (minus 5.1 degrees C).
The drop in night temperature has resulted in formation
of a layer of ice even on city roads while water supply pipes
are frozen. Dal Lake and other water bodies in the Valley were
also partially frozen due to the intense cold.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli