Power supply expected to resume by Monday: Omar
Srinagar: Two days after Kashmir Valley
plunged into darkness due to heavy snowfall, Jammu and Kashmir
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Sunday assured that the power
supply to the region would be restored by Monday.
"Weather permitting, the normal electricity supply in
Kashmir Valley will be restored by tomorrow evening or Tuesday
morning," Omar told reporters here.
Kashmir Valley plunged into darkness on Friday following
moderate to heavy snowfall across the region.
Briefing the media about the restoration work, he said
the Kishanpore-Pampore transmission line will be restored by
later this evening, while the Kishanpore-Wagoora line is
expected to be restored by tomorrow evening.
The Chief Minister said the power crisis was triggered by
unexpected snowfall in south of Pir Panjal range.
"Normally, the maximum damage to the power infrastructure
takes place in Kashmir Valley but we have had unexpected
snowfall on the other side of the Pir Panjal which has
resulted in snapping of the transmission line at multiple
places," he said.
Omar said he has kept the state helicopter available to
power grid corporation to facilitate the speedy restoration
of the transmission line.
"We have around 200 MWs available right now which we are
feeding hospitals, water supply schemes and other essential
services," he said.
He said the snow clearance on Srinagar-Jammu national
highway is also in full swing and the 294-km road is likely to
reopen for one-way traffic tomorrow evening.
"Snow clearing is on between Ramban and Banihal while
four kilometer stretch between Batote and Patnitop is still
blocked," the Chief Minister said adding the Banihal-Srinagar
stretch of the highway has been cleared for traffic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing